Within the framework of the “National Plan for Complementary Investments” (Law Decree no. 59 of 6 May 2021, converted, with amendments, into Law no. 101 of 1 July 2021) of the National Recovery and Resilience Plan (PNRR), with the aim of promoting the economic, social and territorial cohesion of the country and overcoming the digital divide in small towns and inland areas, the Polis Project – Home of Digital Services was approved.
The two lines of intervention
- Sportello Unico (One-stop shop): makes provision for the digital renovation and upgrading by 2026 of 6,933 Post Offices to enable Italians resident in municipalities with fewer than 15,000 inhabitants, equipped with at least one Post Office, to easily use the services of the Public Administration. The Post Office will be transformed into a hub for physical and digital services, through the introduction of new technologies and tools to enable complete, fast, easy and digital use of services 24 hours a day.
- Spaces for Italy: envisages the creation of a national network of co-working* and training spaces with a widespread presence in Italy. Workstations, meeting spaces, shared services, event and training areas will be open to private individuals, companies and public administration, universities and research centres.
- One-stop shop: The renovation and technological upgrading of the Post Offices was launched after the authorisation from the European Commission, received in October 2022. During 2022, design activities and works at 27 sites were finalised. At 31 December 2022, work was completed on 4 Post Offices.
- Spaces for Italy: During the course of 2022, both the preparatory activities for the definition of the business model and those related to the definition of the perimeter of the 250 co-working spaces were carried out. Approximately 400 assets were analysed and the development of the initiative was planned over the next 4 years (2023-2026). Renovation work was started for the subsequent opening of the relevant co-working spaces.
Sustainable Development Goals
With the Polis Project, Poste Italiane intends to play a leading role in the country’s recovery for the benefit of citizens and their participation in public life by adopting a responsible approach in order to reduce its environmental footprint and contribute to the low-carbon transition of the economy and the entire country. The initiative is consistent with Poste Italiane’s broader strategy of sustainable, digital and inclusive development.
The Polis Project generates significant impacts throughout the territory, also with a view to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs):
On 30 January 2023, in the presence of the President of the Republic, the President of the Council, the Secretary of State of the Holy See, numerous government representatives, and institutions, the Polis Project was presented in Rome by the Chairwoman and CEO of the Company, to the 7,000 mayors of the municipalities involved, which in Italy represent 90% of the municipalities with a land area equal to 80% of the country and in which 16 million people live.
For more information on the project, please refer to the website under Progetto Polis (italian version).
* Working concept consisting of a workspace shared by several companies or independent professionals. In this environment, people can work together, share ideas and resources and develop professional relationships.