The development goal in Poste Italiane is to build a virtuous company in which everyone is able to access a path to professional enrichment, skill and experience.
The Company offers fair and transparent instruments and methodologies which consider, in their application, the heterogeneity of various segments of business and function.
The development of people in Poste Italiane is managed by means of an integrated model aimed at valorising the merit and growth of human capital during the entire professional lifecycle.
The integrated development model
The architecture of the model takes form from the wider lines of People Strategy which define the contribution of the Human Resources and Organisation function to the implementation of the Strategic Plan.
The strategy is conceived and structured in order to lay down the phases of the development process over bearing axes, transversal to the entire corporate population. The mission is precisely that of sustaining business growth by means of valorising human capital, capturing its potential, developing its talent, sustaining the motivation thereof and consolidating its experience by means of growth opportunities.
In the last two years the main Poste Italiane people development processes were redesigned and implemented. The general architecture of the new development system is structured into three main macro processes:
- scouting: aimed at detecting potential and intercepting the best resources;
- management planning: to identify development priorities with a view to succession and “management risk” containment;
- development: aimed at sustaining individual growth of resources with potential and accelerating their development.
Development system and Change Management
- Steer development levers on the single action, meant as a whole of instruments, methodologies, approaches and supports that improve the managerial and professional efficacy of each person;
- Map the talent resource base and plan its development in relation to the different level of readiness/availability on target positions.
Scouting processes by interested target
Within these processes, Poste Italiane uses various types of Assessment:
- Assessment of skills, a transversal type process on the corporate population up to middle management positions, aimed at mapping and/or certifying existing skills in the Company and the level of role coverage;
- Assessment of Professional Orientation (POP), dedicated to the youngest corporate population and aimed at identifying best performers on which to invest primarily in terms of development, recognising so-called young talent;
- Assessment of Management Potential (MLAB), intended for the professionally more mature corporate population and aimed at identifying key persons - so-called key talent – to cover middle management roles.
- Leadership Assessment, dedicated to expert managers and aimed at identifying possible successors, or leaders, for the Group’s key positions.
There is another type of assessment in the scouting processes which is Skill UP, aimed at mapping and/or certifying technical-specialist skills in the Company and the degree of role coverage. Such assessment involves the Company in a transversal manner, addressing specific professional families. The activity involved 468 resources in the context of 33 Individual Business Coaching paths dedicated to managers under development.
The characteristics and criteria for accessing Review processes foreseen in Poste Italiane are specific and differentiated in relation to the target population to which they are directed and have the objective of guaranteeing supervision and turnover over time of organisation positions, as well as the activation of consistent actions supporting the development of people, to be specific:
- People Review, addressing executives and office workers and aimed at intercepting persons with development potential towards target middle management roles essential to the business;
- Management Review, aimed at managers and executives in position and directed at intercepting managers with development potential towards organisational level two target roles;
- Succession Planning, dedicated to second and third level managers and aimed at intercepting persons with development potential towards organisational level one target roles.
Furthermore, a programme was launched dedicated to innovation built on the Hackathon format (innovation marathon) by means of two pilot projects (Poste Innovation Storm), which involved 100 corporate talents in the proposition of innovative lines linked to priority business challenges.
Over the years the number of assessed people increased constantly until, in the latest assessment campaign (which ended in April 2017) it reached almost all the corporate population, with a 4% increase compared to the previous year.
During cycle 2016-2017 about 8,300 assessors were registered, between managers and middle management and over 135,000 assessed subjects between managers, office workers and executives.
In 2017 the Performance Assessment model was reviewed according to certain evolutionary principles leading to better consistency with the corporate vision and Group strategy, such as to render the process a key instrument for the development of people. Shown below are the main drivers to guide the evolution of the Poste Italiane VdP system.
Shown below are the main drivers to guide the evolution of the Poste Italiane VdP system.
|Transparency model||The new Performance Management model was orientated at criteria of transparency,
promoting rules and procedures that were clear and shared among the entire involved
|Assessment culture||The new Performance Management model was backed by a cultural change process
aimed at valorising excellence, developing the culture of assessment.
|Leadership Model||The new Performance Management model was structured to direct the behaviour of
resources towards the company’s expectations, complying with the new Poste Italiane
Leadership Model 2020.
|Standard objectives||The new Performance Management model superseded the current fragmentation of the
logic for building objectives, defining a framework of objectives and promoting company
cascading and functional cascading logic.
|Segmentation of the
|The new Performance Management model was able to capture the characteristics and
necessities of the various included populations, in any case guaranteeing the simplicity
and usability of the model.
|Assessment and feedback||The new Performance Management model was conceived in line with the best market
practice, bringing the concept of development closer and envisaging 180° assessment
The assessment system was redefined as a continuous process throughout the year and is marked by three main phases:
Moreover, once again in the context of performance assessment, in 2017 an “expanded pilot assessment” was launched (180° assessment), which involved the Group Executives and about 200 1st and 2nd organisational level managers in order to gather the various opinions on the resource and divulge the effective managerial conduct. The assessment, expressed by peers selected according to the main organisational relations existing between them, took place online through a dedicated SDM (Succession and Development Management) system.
The performance assessment model
Numeric snapshot of the main development initiatives up to 2017
- Valorisation of merit and performance;
- External competitiveness and internal fairness;
- Alignment with medium/long term strategies of the Company.
Short term variable remuneration has the purpose of reinforcing the attention to the creation of value, consistently with corporate strategy and budget, connecting the issue of annual bonuses for effectively achieved performances during the year of reference. For financial year 2017 the objectives subject matter of incentivisation for beneficiaries were: economic-financial, customer experience and function.
Long term variable remuneration has the purpose of focussing the attention of resources on factors of strategic success and the creation of value in the long term, connecting the issue of incentives to performances effectively achieved within the multi-year horizon of reference.
It is foreseen that the various types of variable remuneration are subject to claw back mechanisms (full or partial repayment of the variable issued component) in the event of fraudulent behaviour of gross misconduct to the damage of the Company brought about by an employee.