|11.7 million km saved thanks to the reduction in “unnecessary” travels||More than 95% of the Group’s electricity requirement comes from 100% renewable sources||7,300 tonnes of carbon dioxide saved by LNG vehicles||~10 million invested in projects to reduce environmental impact||Innovative solutions to promote the transition to a low-carbon economy|
Environmental protection is a priority that Poste Italiane Group has established in its Code of Ethics, in which it recognises the importance of safeguarding the environment as a primary asset, undertakes to promote rational use of resources within its structures, and focuses on seeking innovative solutions to ensure a reduction in the direct and indirect environmental impacts generated by its activities.
The Company’s objective is to spread an environmental protection culture, whilst systematically drawing up sectoral action plans regarding the efficient management of energy resources, water resources and waste, from a circular economy perspective, in order to reduce its ecological footprint.
2020 Environmental Data Overview
- Internal Group energy consumption. The total energy consumption of the Group was 4,034,811 GJ, of which 1,536,576 GJ from renewable sources.
- Total Direct GHG emissions – Scope 1. In 2020 Poste Italiane generated 159,308 tCO2e of direct GHG emissions,
- Total Indirect GHG emissions - Scope 2. In 2020 the Group generated 9,257 tCO2e of indirect GHG emissions, with a reduction of 20.2% over the last triennium.
- Total other indirect GHG emissions – Scope 3. The total production of indirect emissions that are not included in Scope 2, as they occurred from sources not owned or controlled by the Group, is 169,656 tCO2e. Specifically, with reference to business travel, total emissions were 6,569 tCO2e (compared to a target set for 2020 of 10,600 tCO2e).
- Total waste produced. The quantity of total waste produced by Poste Italiane is 28,583.3 t, unchanged in the last three years (2018-2020).
More on environmental issues can be found at the following link
Download the Group’s environmental data
Decarbonisation of Real estate facilities and logistics
|Objectives||Timing||Indicator (KPI)||Target||Implementation status 2020|
|Reduce the Group's total emissions in line with the Paris Climate Agreement targets and contribute to limiting global warming to 1.5°C||By 2025||tCO2 e||100%||New|
|Achieve Carbon Neutrality||By 2030||Net tCO2 e||50%||New|
|Reduce emissions from the postal delivery fleet||By 2022||% of emissions produced||100%||-3%
Deadline for achieving the objective
|Increase the share of environmentally friendly vehicles (electric, hybrid, low emission) of Nexive, SDA, Milkman||By 2025||tCO2 e||Product launch and dissemination on the market||New|
|Increase the share of environmentally friendly vehicles (hybrid, low emission) of sennder||By 2025||tCO2 e||Product launch||New|
|Use of electricity from renewable sources||By 2024||% of electricity consumed||100%||New|
|Replace the company fleet with vehicles with reduced environmental impact||By 2022||No. of company vehicles with reduced environmental impact introduced||100%||863
Deadline for achieving the objective
|Introduce Smart Building solutions on the Group's entire real estate assets||By 2024||GWh of energy consumed||Development of the market offer||New|
|Increase the production of GWh of renewable energy that can be used for self-consumption||By 2024||GWh of renewable energy produced||100%||New|
|Make a large building Carbon Neutral||By 2023||Carbon Neutral Buildings||Definition of a product||New|
|Maintenance of ISO 14001 and ISO 50001 certifications||By 2021||Corporate processes ISO 14001 and ISO 50001 certified||New